Heading Logo


Fire ravages Killbuck business, home

By CHRISTINE L. PRATT Staff Writer Published: June 17, 2017 5:00 AM
  • 1 of 2 Photos | View More Photos

KILLBUCK -- Knowing his family and employees were all safe, Jeremy Scheetz described the June 7 fire that tore through his business and home.

Scheetz said he was walking down a nearby alley when the fire started in his business, where a couple of employees were working at the time. He said he is not 100 percent sure what happened, but there were no injuries, and even the dog got out of the building.

"Everybody's out. The dog got out. All the valuables are out," he said.

Scheetz Recycling opened in 2002 at 240 S. Main St.

The fire, according to Scheetz, is "an answered prayer in a silver lining."

[Article continues below]

That's because, he said, the business was "getting too big for the location and I needed to expand and move to another location, but didn't have the funds."

Given the dilemma, he said, he'd been "looking for a sign," and he said the fire provided the "answer to the question of what I need to do."

The family, he said, will take up permanent residence in a house they already rent outside of town.

And, while he figures out what's next, he takes comfort in knowing "everyone got out OK. Accidents happen. There's no need to get too upset. I've just got to let everything settle and see what's up."

Reporter Christine Pratt can be reached at 330-674-5676 or cpratt@the-daily-record.com.


Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.